Knowing your skin type is the first crucial step toward establishing an effective skin routine.
While everyone's skin is different, most people's fall into 1 or 6 categories.
Knowing which category you fall into will help you understand which products will yield the best results.
Skin type can change so you may need to update your routine at some point in your life.
These changes can occur due to seasonal changes, hormones, age etc.
DRY / DEHYDRATED skin type
What is dehydration?
This is what happens when the skin loses moisture, even though it may retain enough nourishment – dehydration also occurs within the oily skin.
Characteristics of dehydrated skin:
• The skin has little elasticity;
• When pinched between two fingers, the skin does not immediately return to its original position;
• The cheeks and neck are covered with fine, horizontal wrinkles or folds, even when the skin is not moved, as in smiling;
• There is no specific age group limit;
• Any type of skin - dry, normal, sensitive or oily -may be dehydrated until provided with enough moisture.
The young dehydrated skin stretches tightly across the face and deep-set eyes are noticeable. The older skin is baggy, without elasticity, and feels uncomfortable.
Factors causing dehydration:
• Nourishing creams are used, but little moisture is applied during the day;
• No moisture and nourishment is provided;
• Low humidity and air-conditioning;
• Smoke and pollution;
• Shock and stress;
• Hard exercise;
• Medication; and
• Hormonal imbalance.
The skin may be easily moisturised again by applying moisture continually until the skin's condition returns to normal.
Maintaining the moisture content afterwards is simple: Apply the appropriate Annique moisturiser continually during the day. Oily skin can also be dehydrated. The older the skin, the more moisture should be provided during the day -sometimes up to six times daily!
SUGGESTED ANNIQUE PRODUCTS FOR A DEHYDRATED SKIN: LUCID RANGE
COMBINATION skin type
Combination skin is a term used to describe facial skin when two or more different skin types occur on the face at the same time.
Typically, combination skin has some parts that are dry or flaky (usually the cheeks), while the centre part of the face, nose, chin, and forehead (known as the T-zone) is oily.
The characteristics of combination skin:
• Shows signs indicating both oiliness and dryness.
• Oily skin is likely to occur on the nose and above the eyebrows, an area known as the T-zone for its shape.
• Dry skin more commonly appears on the cheeks and neck.
• The chin may be oily or dry.
• There may be larger pores on the cheeks and possibly the forehead, than on the rest of the face.
• There may be occasional blemishes and blackheads.
Factors that can contribute to combination skin
• More active oil glands are located around the nose, chin and forehead, than other parts of the face.
• Hormonal changes or genetics can contribute to this skin type.
• Using inappropriate skin care products. For instance, using products that contain irritating ingredients can stimulate oil production in the T-zone area and at the same time create more dry skin and redness on the rest of the face. Using a moisturiser that is too rich may leave your skin feeling oilier and contribute to clogged pores.
SUGGESTED ANNIQUE PRODUCTS FOR A COMBINATION SKIN: HYDRA FINE RANGE
OILY skin type
Generally, the problem skin is oily and the oily skin causes problems.
It is a fact, however, the oily skin does not age as quickly as the dry skin.
The oily skin has enough nourishment and lubrication to protect it against ageing factors.
The characteristics of oily skin:
• This skin has the appearance of orange peel. The pores are open and mostly contain oil, covering the skin up to the ears with a shining layer of oil.
• The skin appears artificially lustrous, thick, orange in colour, hard and rough.
• Since the oil on the skin tends to attract dust and pollution like an oil stain on a white tablecloth,the skin sometimes appears dirty and neglected.
• The discharge of toxic substances is sometimes delayed by the thick layer of oil on the skin,causing pimples and infections.The major problem, however, is that excessive cleansing strips the skin of moisture. The result: glands are activated to discharge MORE oil to supplement the deficiency on the surface of the skin. The excess oil cannot escape through the pore, is blocked, solidifies and forms pimples, blackheads and acne.
Infection can set in within a few hours, creating red and swollen bulges on the skin.
Factors that may aggravate or negatively affect the condition of oily skin:
• Excess heat, such as saunas, home treatments with steam; and continual and excessive cleansing to rid the skin of oil;
• Ageing. It does not have the same negative effect on oily skin, but the skin looks unattractive because of its rough appearance. The Annique Forever Young Revitalising Cream and Forever Young Q10 Therapy may reduce the pores, and the moisturiser will limit the excessive excretion of oil.
• Diet also plays an important role in caring for oily skin and should be healthy, regular and non-greasy.
• Puberty may cause hormonal changes and, therefore, increased excretion of sebum. It is very difficult to restore the hormonal balance, but it stabilises within two to three years. The skin should not be dehydrated, squeezed or excessively cleansed during this stage. Repeated disturbance of the pH of the skin exposes the skin to infections.
• The oily skin may change into dry and sensitive skin with time, excessive handling and dehydration. The skin may then appear dry, with enlarged pores all over – a very challenging condition.
• Over-stimulation such as excessive scrubbing, etc.
SUGGESTED ANNIQUE PRODUCTS FOR AN OILY SKIN " FACE FACTS RANGE
SENSITIVE / ALLERGIC skin type
There are THREE types of sensitive/allergic skin, namely:(a) sensitive skin; (b) Acne skin (c) skin with eczema.
Someone with one of these skin types should follow the same skincare routine as is suggested for sensitive skin.
Even though the treatment of the various types of sensitive skin varies, all the steps have to be followed to ensure the best results.
The sensitive skin occurs throughout South Africa, but more often in the Cape and the Highveld.
The sensitive skin could have been normal, dry or oily skin before, but was altered by one or more of the following:
• Over-stimulation of the skin;
• Excessive cleansing of the teenage skin;
• Wrong products for this skin type;
• Home treatment with steam or cleansing with excessively hot water;
• Too hot and cold water alternately on the skin;
• Hot baths on cold evenings;
• Saunas and cold showers;
• Soap and water;
• Products containing alcohol used on normal or dry skin;
• Aversion to shiny skin;
• Strong and rich foodstuffs, such as curry and red wine;
• Rough handling of thin skin;
• Kitchen heat like ovens, steam, etc, or masques left on too long;
• Exposure of the skin to extreme environmental factors such as sun, wind and cold;
• Creams applied with hard massage movements;
• The use of brushes, astringents, shaving lotions, face cloths and disinfectants;
• Sunburn; and
• Smoking and alcohol.
It is clear that a girl has to learn from a very young age how to treat and appreciate her skin properly. Sensible handling of the skin should become a way of life - second nature.
Characteristics of sensitive skin:
• Fine, parchment-like with almost no pores;
• Pale, lacklustre, row upon row of wrinkles;
• Broken veins on cheeks;
• Immediately turns red in the sun;
• Dehydration lines sometimes form on the cheeks and neck;
• Cheeks turn red with emotion, irritation, friction or heat;
• Often blemished;
• Smarts after cleansing;
• Possible history of allergic reactions to skin care products;
• Skin of the grandmother/mother also sensitive/allergic.
The steps towards successful treatment are slow, but with patience and trust someone with sensitive skin may also enjoy the pleasure of beautiful healthy skin.
The Skin with Eczema:
The treatment for eczema is similar to that of sensitive skin.
Characteristics of the skin with eczema:
• The surface of the skin is covered with unevenly distributed, dry or festering, itching patches;
• These areas may be red and swollen;
• In most cases it is not clear what causes this condition, leaving the customer despondent about its treatment;
The blemishes disappear at times, only to reappear without apparent reason at a later stage;
• These rough eczema blemishes may occur on any part of the body.The treatment for this condition is simple but effective:
• Rinse affected areas and bathe in Annique Rooibos tea;
• Use only the moist silky bar when bathing;
• Consume the Micronutrient capsules recommended;
• Apply Resque Créme and Sensi Créme to the affected area;
• Follow the Annique Lifestyle eating plan;
• Baby Shampoo, Baby Body Lotion, and Baby Detergent and Softener could also assist in avoiding further allergic reactions.
SUGGESTED ANNIQUE PRODUCTS FOR A SENSITIVE SKIN: SENSITIV RANGE
This type of skin is what everyone dreams about, but because it’s so rare, it is seldom seen in adults.
Even some children do not have normal skin.
A four-year-old girl can distinguish between smooth, tight skin and moist, soft and comfortable skin.
The normal skin is moist, soft, supple and dewy with a soft, satiny glow. In winter it sometimes smarts and feels tight - especially on the Highveld.
Normal skin is classified in the following way:
• There are no visible pores; under a microscope, the normal skin looks like a rose petal;
• the cheeks have a soft, rosy glow, without any broken veins; the skin appears moist;
• there are no visible rashes or abnormal pimples; and
• the skin appears somewhat moister and has a dewy shine on the nose and chin.
To conserve normal skin requires as much attention and patience as any other skin. Normal skin is precious and a big asset.
Factors that may change the conditions of normal skin:
• Environmental factors: climate, pollution, air conditioning, etc.;
• Puberty, when the hormonal balance of the teenager changes;
• Wrong diet, causing a deficiency of vitamins and minerals;
• Wrong and drastic skin care methods;
• Ageing caused by sunburn, malnutrition, dehydration;
• Stress; and
• Alcohol and smoking.
A correct skincare routine can counteract and delay the ageing of the skin.
SUGGESTED ANNIQUE PRODUCTS FOR A NORMAL SKIN : HYDRA FINE RANGE